Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Chew on this: SF Gate article on the changing music scene

I came across this article the other day on SFGate.com talking about how the Bay Area music scene is evolving in response to the tech boom.

Brick and Mortar Music Hall. Photo from Yelp.
I think a good but obvious point were brought up when the housing crisis was cited as a main cause for musicians leaving the city. While it is true that

I also found it interesting and rather frustrating when the article mentioned how young tech workers were eager to spend their money on music and at clubs. It sounds like the article was focusing more on shows and venues that book national acts that are already "successful" in the business instead of local acts or up and coming talent.

Maybe its just me, but I would rather have the city's "techie" residents spend $5 at a small club with a local lineup than $30 at large venue for a bigger act.

Give it a read and share your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment